Anna's Green Blog

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Soya destroyer

I heard a news item yesterday about the growing of soya as a cash crop in the Amazon. As we already know, an area of Amazonian rainforest the size of Wales disappears every year, cut down to provide land for cash crops. Well, apparently the primary crop now is soya beans. And where do these soya beans end up? They are shipped to Liverpool and turned into animal feed. Most of the chicken we buy in the UK is apparently reared on soy-based animal feed. Oh no! I've only recently started eating chicken, after years of not eating meat. What I want to know too is what about all the other soya products that I use? Soya milk, tofu, soya mince, soy isoflavone tablets (natural oestrogen for the menopause)? Where do these come from???

This is one for you Grump.


1 Comments:

  • I stopped using soya products a few years back after hearing a similar story. I didn't know they used soya beans to feed the chickens. We eat chicken as you know. I certainly will give it some thought. Woof x

    By Blogger Grump, at July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home